Picnic Blanket Dress... and a new coat!

Hey everyone, how are we today? I hope you are super awesome, as I was while taking these photos.

As soon as I saw this checked fabric in Lincraft, I knew it was perfect for a dress! A nice big check is always good. However, I straight away started to worry about the effect of having the white and black nearest to my face. The easy answer? Black edging!


_79A2934-Edit

The pattern is New Look 6208, I made View D. I figured as much as I love the bows, I thought they would be overkill, and I was right. To avoid having to pattern match, I turned the waistband on the bias instead, which worked a treat - I'll definitely do that again. As I mentioned before, I used black edging around the neckline and armholes. To avoid any awkward moments (I was worried the white was a little sheer), I lined the bodice with white cotton lawn, and the skirt with white Bemsilk. Lining dresses is awesome, you guys. I have vowed to do it all the time (well, almost, anyway), because it's so much nicer in all seasons. But especially now, it doesn't stick to my stockings!


_79A3045
(I can't remember whether this photo was before or after 
I dropped my credit card into the Parramatta River...)


I'm super happy with this dress. At the moment, I'm wearing it with a singlet underneath as it keeps the bare skin warmer and doesn't look terrible underneath (it is winter, but it's still close to 20 degrees, so I can definitely wear it with a cardigan!). It feels like I'm wearing a picnic blanket, but in the best way possible (that's legit, right?), and I have so many other plans for various colour checked dresses (including one I'm going to make soon which I'm picturing as red and white mixed size check)

_79A2848

As you can see, it even looks especially awesome underneath my new coat (which I didn't make, unfortunately). I've been after a new coat for a while, and knew I wanted a larger skirted silhouette to go over my dresses. This is from Review, and I adore it. It's super flattering, warm, and I feel so pretty in it! More coat pictures ahead, because I love it so.

_79A3000-Edit

The only problem I've had so far, is that I feel like it's too dressy for work, so I haven't worn it nearly as much as I'd like to! I'm on a mission to get it into my daily wardrobe more...

_79A2841

I would say this was my favourite dress, but I seem to be saying that with every new dress I make. I think that's good. That is good, right?

Do you have a favourite piece in your wardrobe at the moment?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Gingham Lilou - My Gingham-Along Entry!

The real deal; Sirocco Jumpsuit

The most comfy; Plaintain PJs