Fabric Shopping - Melbourne Edition!

Hi there! I can see some people have found my little blog through the Sew Dolly Clackett competition (now closed, and good luck to everyone who entered!), so an extra special welcome to everyone today.

I got back home Friday night from a week in Melbourne with one of my bestest friends. We shopped (RTW stores), ate a lot, drank a lot (we're both a bit fan of the 7-11 slurpee), and generally had an amazing time.

While in the city, we popped into Tessuti's, but as I suspected it was a little too expensive for my taste. I loved seeing all the Liberty lawns and japanese cottons though - one day... I really wanted to be able to go fabric shopping while we were there though. My friend was totally on board with wandering the outskirts of the city and browsing fabrics, thank goodness. It took a little research, but it turns out that we could visit 3 stores using one tram line from the city (#1)!

Our first stop was Rathdowne Fabric and Remnants, which I loved. The ladies there were super helpful and were able to give me advice about ponte (I have yet to sew with anything not cotton, so didn't really know what to get). They also had some super cute cottons, and really good prices. Not to mention 20% off! I shall definitely need to go back (plus, they said I could order over the phone, which I might do if the ponte is right - I could get so many colours!!!) The ponte was $15/m (I got 1.5), and the purple with the bows and birds was $7.50/m (I got 3). That's before the 20% off.


Next we hit up GJ's discount fabrics. They have two sections - the entrance room is all cottons, and a few steps up is the dance/glitter/upholstery section. They also have a third section, but it's set up for classes and not filled with fabric. The 'discount' part seemed to be mostly in the glitter/tulle department, but they had this gorgeous fabric (as seen on a few lovely people, Roisin included!) What can I say? I love her style and had a major fabric crush. I decided that Blueberry would be the best colourway for me (the lighter aqua Sky colourway is very me also, but I'm trying to branch out in terms of my colour choices). And even better? I got the last of it!!

(Tula Pink Acacia collection, Raccoon in Blueberry)

It was a litle more than I'd anticipated at $24/m, but I splurged on it, and I have no regrets. I was very very pleased with the day - spent about $100 all up, which will give me 2 dresses and an extremely versatile skirt! The best part is, I convinced my friend, who has yet to open the sewing machine she was given years ago, to buy some fabric (red and white Eiffel towers on black), open up her machine, and make a skirt! I am proud.

Anyway, this post is more than wordy enough. Bye then!

TL;DR - I bough fabric, it looks cool, I'm stupid pleased.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Gingham Lilou - My Gingham-Along Entry!

The real deal; Sirocco Jumpsuit

The most comfy; Plaintain PJs